The National Register program is administered by the National Park Service under the auspice of the United States Department of the Interior. Properties are nominated for inclusion in the National Register by each state’s Historic Preservation office. The National Park Service accepts or declines each nomination based on a number of factors including its history, architecture, archaeology, and cultural attributes. Listing in the National Register indicates that the property is recognized as historically significant at a regional, state and/or national level.
National Register Properties
North Yarmouth and Freeport Baptist Meeting House (1796, 1825, and 1837), 3 Hillside Street
Built in 1796 with alterations from 1825 by Samuel Melcher and 1837 by Anthony Raymond, this structure successfully displays a combination of Colonial, Federal, Gothic and Greek Revival features.
Ammi R. Mitchell House (c. 1800), 333 Main Street
This early Federal style house with a steeply pitched hip roof was the home of two community-minded doctors, Ammi R. Mitchell and Eleazer Burbank.
North Yarmouth Academy: Russell Hall (1841) and Academy Hall (1847), 129 Main Street
Two Greek Revival style educational buildings of brick with wood and granite trim; Russell Hall was originally designed as a dormitory while Academy Hall was designed for classroom use.
Captain S. C. Blanchard House (1855), 317 Main Street
Charles A. Alexander designed this elaborate and finely detailed Italianate residence for Yarmouth shipbuilder Sylvanus Blanchard.
Captain Reuben Merrill House (1858), 233 West Main Street
Thomas J. Sparrow, the first native Portland architect, designed this Italian-style house for sea Captain Reuben Merrill.
Camp Hammond (1889-90), 275 Main Street
Constructed with a single exterior wall of heavy planks over timbers with no hidden spaces or hollow walls, this “mill-built” Shingle Style residence was designed to be “slow burning.”
Grand Trunk Railroad Station (1906), 288 Main Street
With large brackets supporting an extended roof overhang, and its steeply pitched hip roof curved over one end, this Stick Style-Italianate railroad station is architecturally unique in Maine.
Central Parish Church (1859-1860), 97 Main Street
This Italianate style church, designed by Thomas Holt for an Orthodox Congregational parish, is now the First Universalist Church.
First Parish Congregational Church (1867-68), 116 Main Street
This imposing Italianate frame building designed by Portland architect George M. Harding was the third church built for Yarmouth’s Congregationalists.
Cousins Island Chapel (1895), Cousins Island
This chapel was built as a branch church of the Baptist Church of Yarmouth.
Cushing and Hannah Prince House (1785), 189 Greely Road
This Federal style farmhouse remained the home of several generations of the Levi and Olive Prince Blanchard family from 1832-1912.